Monday, June 8, 2009

Library 2.0

June 8, 2009
I watched the videos today. Stephen Abram's was very interesting. He referred to the minor change of technology and the web made on libraries. I disagree. I became a school librarian in 1975. I had a manual typewriter to type the catalog cards with. Students signed their names on cards to borrow books. Buying a new set of encyclopedias every year was crucial. Technology did make a very big difference in the library world. I do agree that all of the different parts of technology that make up 2.0 are making enormous changes. I agree that we must make it a focus of libraries or we will be seen just as warehouses, not an important part of today's society. He was also right that we must use the technology ourselves, but that can be the hard part. It takes me more than a few minutes a day to learn something new.
"Think Library 2.0" did a great job of showing visually just how much technology has changed from pencil and paper to things like Flickr and Utube on the web. I like how he showed how Web 2.0 is linking people. Now we need to use Web 2.0 to link people to the library!

No comments:

Post a Comment