Saturday, August 1, 2009

Thing 21

Podcasts
I like podcasts. I went with my daugher to Austin, she had a TLA committee meeting. This meant I had a short vacation of hanging around the Hyatt and reading. We listened to podcasts of Radio Lab and Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me on the trip there and back, even though I had just bought an audiobook of Well of Lost Plots. I admit that my podcasts were restricted to NPR shows downloaded from ITunes. So it was great to discover a bigger world of podcasts. I had trouble with the sound on the Chesire Public Library podcast, but it seemed well done. The DeKalb library podcast was songs from concerts that were held there. The quality was good and it seems a good way to publicize events. I enjoyed the Denver Public Libraries storytelling podcast. Mohawk College's podcast on streaming videos was very short, just a good explanation of what streaming video was. Podcasts on a library website could be a good way to explain the different library services if a video clip wouldn't beappropriate. The Lincoln Public Library book talks were also interesting. I was wondering if it would be better to have more but shorter podcasts for booktalks. I think podcasts attached to library websites for information on library services, book talks, storytelling, are very useful and make libraries more attractive to the public. I was wondering if libraries ever make podcasts, such as the free NPR ones, in a format for patrons to take home with them. I think this could be a popular service.
S

No comments:

Post a Comment