Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Thing 22

Developing Your Own 23 Things
It is hard to believe that this course is almost over. It has been great. I don't know how I ever would have been able to find out about so much technology so easily. However, I want to go back over the lessons, so I hope that you keep the website up for awhile. I think that libraries must keep up with the latest technology if we are going to be relevant to patrons. My town's public library has a very nice facebook page. Their activities are advertized in a very nice video on You Tube. I can see other uses, too. A blog could be created with with book reviews for patrons to read. Podcasts of storytelling and book reviews could be attached to the library web page. GoogleDocs on the library computers could give patrons important information easily. A Wiki could be used for residents to create a history of the area.
There are problems with implementing technology. Staff needs to be trained and given time to practice. Patrons need to find out what is available so they will use it. I think that classes for the patrons on many of the 23 Things would be great way for libraries to help their patrons become more technologically aware. Seperate classes for teens and adults might be good.
I am a retired school librarian so I can't actually put the 23 Things to use in a school library. However, I do work a few hours a week with a blind student and his technology. I intend to show him most of these things. Not Flickr, pictures don't work well with screen readers. He does need to know what it is in case his peers talk about it. Many of these things, such as GoogleDocs and Wikis he will need to be using for his classes next year. I think he will enjoy blogs and podcasts and may want to create some of his own. So this has been great.
S

No comments:

Post a Comment