Friday, July 10, 2009

Thing 13

I consulted with my daughter, the MLS student after reading Wikipedia, because I felt like I needed to get my money's worth from tuition payments. She felt that the advantange that tagging uses an uncontroled vocabulary and that is the way the world is heading. However, the disadvantage is that tagging uses an uncontrolled vocabulary. Since tags use natural language these are words people think of. People don't always know what words to use with controlled vocabulary. I can vouch for the fact that children had lots of problems with subject headings. However, I think tags would have been even more confusing for them. Our consensus wat that tagging does get the library users involved and accesible but a controlled vocabulary is also needed.
S

No comments:

Post a Comment